Monday, March 12, 2012

Weather or Not

I pride myself, or perhaps delude myself into thinking that weather doesn't affect my mood. Well, that theory was proved incorrect last weekend as we left our hometown of Portland, Oregon to head east and home. I couldn't figure out why I was so depressed. We had a great visit with family and friends over a three day period and even saw our three month old grand nephew. What's depressing about that? Leaving? No, we can go back anytime.

Well, I was enlightened, literally, when we stopped in The Dalles for lunch and the sun appeared. Then I realized it was the heavy rains of Portland that had dampened my spirits. Funny. I'm a Portland native and know that it rains nine months out of the year in the City of Roses. Was I in a perpetual bad mood for the forty years I lived there? No, but being introduced to a drier climate has changed my perspective and my preferences. I love the sun!

So here I am back in God's country where the sun shines 300 days of the year and I can enjoy the big sky that produces breathtaking sunsets. There's no place like home.

No comments: