Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gift From the Past

The mind, particularly the memory part, is an amazing thing. Yesterday I was teleported to my childhood by an item in an antique shop. Hanging on a cup hook was a child-size bracelet exactly like the one I had many years ago. The pleasant reminder of my long, lost possession was accompanied with guilt. How could I have forgotten about my favorite bracelet?

My charm bracelet, a present from my father for Christmas or Easter, was faux pearl with eleven charms: a tiny mother of pearl Bible and ten gold octagons with the Ten Commandments imprinted on each.

As I held the doll-size trinket, I felt five years old again; better yet, here was an early Christmas present. My husband smiled, knowing that I'd ask to buy it. I didn't right away, only after thinking about it over a cup of coffee. You got it! The pearl bracelet will sit in my jewelry box until my granddaughter can slip it on her wrist.



Merry Christmas. Make good memories.

No comments: