Thursday, July 28, 2011

Potter-Mania

My daughter and I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two last weekend and thought it was a fitting and beautifully told conclusion to a book series that may have changed the course of juvenile reading habits forever. Throughout my lifetime, I have always been in love with the written word. My tastes are eclectic; I tend to read suspense, the classics and memoir. But I was drawn to the Potter series shortly after its publication.

Harry has taught us many lessons, I believe. When faced with loss of family, an unhappy home life, challenging surrounds which are fraught with danger, and the ultimate forces of evil, he drew upon the friendship and loyalty of good friends and the love and support, albeit from another realm, of his parents.

From my perspective, I believe if one lives long enough, tough times and even powerful adversaries will cross our path. Presently, our family is dealing with the darker side of human nature and are experiencing first hand how selfish and dishonest people can turn your life upside down.

As I watched Harry and his comrades face the ultimate force of evil, I admired how they handled adversity and even the injury and death of friends and loved ones. They were uncertain and fearful, but willing to jump in and DO something.

Was Harry naive? Perhaps at times, but I like to think that beyond his disarming crooked grin, lay a strong individual who could face seemingly impossible challenges and come out a winner.

So, as our family deals with a negative presence that has temporarily disrupted our lives, I take heart in our fictional Harry, who has entertained and inspired so many people for so many years. Thank you, Ms. Rowling and happy reading to her millions of fans.

No comments: